College Life

College Life

Monday, May 20, 2013

Last bit of the boat ride

I already posted about the major events of the boat ride, but just realized I was so exhausted, I didn't report about the end of the ride! 

In my last blog, I showed pictures of some houses on the river we were going down. After writing that blog, I promptly fell asleep for an hour or two. When I woke up, I thought we were at the ocean. Here's a glimpse of what I saw:



There was so much space around our boat! But then as I looked through the zoomed in lens of my phones camera, I saw worse poverty than before. There were shacks with no sides. Just 4 sticks holding up a thatched roof...all balancing on some wood tied to empty blue barrels for floatation. Before I fell asleep I was sure I had seen the worst poverty in the world. When I woke up, I was quick to realize just how wrong I had been. (I wasn't able to get any pictures of the shacks because I was too busy sitting there with my jaw dropped and deep in prayer) 


Not only were people living in something no human should live in, the water was filthy. This is the water they go to the restroom in, bathe in, wash their clothes in, and cool off in (and probably sometimes drink...if they are too poor to buy water bottles) I can't imagine how these people survive out here. 


Please pray that Gods hand would be over these people. I am praying that God will continue to break my heart for them and give me a way to brighten their day. Even if I can't change their lives, I want to see them smile at least once. Please pray for our team as we continue to see poverty, trafficked girls, and all around corruption. Pray that we stick together as a team and support each other as we continue to have broken hearts. 

God bless. 

No comments:

Post a Comment