College Life

College Life

Saturday, May 25, 2013

Recap

Wow, it's been a while since I blogged! Our Internet has just been so terrible and things have been a whirlwind. We haven't fallen off the face of the earth though! We've been so busy though. 

Okay, so I'll just bullet point through the last few days. 

- we toured some temples! Including Angkor Wat which was beautiful. Oh! And we saw where Tomb Raider was shot. That was pretty sweet. Words can't do it justice...and pictures can't either, but they get closer. 









A couple of us rode elephants while we were at the temples, but there aren't very good pictures of it. Here's what I've got. 




- today, we went to S-21 and the killing fields. I don't think I have ever felt so broken by something. Thousands of people were killed in the most brutal ways. 

Lets cover S-21 first. This was a place where prisoners were kept and tortured. I can't find words for the amounts of horrific things I saw there. 





Prisoners were kept in these cells. They were so incredibly small. The cells were short enough where they could see the person next to them, but they were forbidden to speak. Many prisoners starved to death, were beaten so badly they died, or killed themselves by cutting themselves and letting themselves bleed out. 

Then we went to the killing fields. We saw mass graves where people were killed and buried. There was a massive memorial that was just a huge multi level case of collected skulls. I can't even imagine the terrible things that happened to people here. Women, children, and men alike. All brutally murdered. There was even a tree that was meant solely for beating children against. I wish I could have gotten a picture of it, but it broke my heart so badly that all I could do was stand paralyzed and cry. The Khmer Rouge were monsters. They bought gas and poured it into the mass graves to keep the smell down and kill anyone that didn't die from the blow to the head. 







So now you're about caught up on our trip! Tomorrow we are going to work with some more girls that have been saved from human trafficking. It should prove to be another emotional day. I'll do my best to keep you updated!








1 comment:

  1. Oh Bells,
    My heart breaks for what you're seeing. Humans truly can be so brutal to one another. And none of it is hidden from our Father's eyes. Imagine how His heart cries out for us to know Him, feel His peace, and act with His love towards one another. I can't fathom...
    I love you,
    May His guidance and protection be over you and the group,
    Love,
    Sissy

    ReplyDelete