College Life

College Life

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

The Diner

So this past week, I went to serve at The Diner with some people from the Eugene Church of Christ. The Diner is basically an old diner (go figure) that serves 300 homeless people a huge meal on a daily basis. So cool, right?!

So I went to serve, and wasn't really sure what to expect. I don't usually serve in an official setting; it's usually just me going under the bridge and serving either by myself or with a few other people. But I guess it shouldn't be surprising that I was touched by almost every person I came in contact with. Unfortunately, I was in the food serving line and not going around sitting in booths with people and talking to them. BUT it really made no difference. I was able to talk to people anyways.

I saw at least 3 people come through the food line wearing clothes I distinctly remember folding for the Touch Project. AKA: some of the people at this diner were at my Touch Project!!!

The one guy that really just touched me deep came through the line with a shining smile. We asked him how he was doing just as we had asked everyone else that had come through. He looked back at all 3 of us, and said he was doing okay. He then proceeded to turn to his friend behind him and say something short and choppy in a different language. They both laughed, and we must have had really weird looks on our faces, because when he turned back around he clarified. He told us that it was some indian language, and that he had said "I'm doing okay." I guess the funny part was that they had said this to each other on multiple occasions in the past. It was touching, because you could tell they had a connection, and that these two grown men were a team that supported each other and kept each other's spirits high.

After thinking "Man, I gotta blog about these guys!" they continued to tug on my heart strings. The first guy turned back around to us and said "And if you're not doing okay, you just say 'eh...ask me later!' ....you should never say that you're not doing good" SERIOUSLY?! How can this grown homeless man be so thankful and positive? He has nothing. His pride is dirtier than his clothing. He begs on street corners for spare change, because he has no other options. He is too old to get a physical labor job, and can't get nice enough clothes to get an interview for another type of job. Even if he did, he doesn't have a whole lot of schooling. The jobs this man could realistically get are not very good....and with the economy the way it is, his chances are low anyways. (I'm kind of cheating, because I have had many encounters with this man...so I have some insight about him. But this whole encounter still caught me off guard)

There is so much more I could write, but it would just turn into a rant, so I'll stop here and leave you (hopefully) wanting more ;)


1 comment:

  1. I want more, can I get an Amen (which simply means "let it be" or "be it so")

    So Amen! I look forward to reading more. My experience at the Diner a couple years ago was good and touching, the thankfulness of many there that we served definitely made me think twice about how appreciative I am.

    God is good all the time, all the time God is good!

    ReplyDelete