College Life

College Life

Saturday, May 18, 2013

The first of many heart wrenching days

Today, we visited the first of 3 rehabilitation centers for trafficked girls. Due to a need for privacy for the girls, I am not going to post any specific details about the center or certain girls. I also did not take any pictures, so some of this might not make a whole lot of sense. But I will try!

This place is able to serve up to 75 girls at a time. The basic idea is that other organizations gather information and rescue girls once they have enough evidence to prosecute. Once the girls are rescued, they are taken to places like the one we visited today. The restoration centers are able to train the girls for certain vocations, give them an education, provide counseling, and prepare them for when they have to go back into the real world of Cambodia. 

During our visit today, I was really touched by the level of trust and love the girls had for people. I don't think I can do them justice in a blog...they forgive so easily. They find things to be thankful for amidst all the trauma they've experienced. Girls as young as 3 are rescued by these places. The youngest at this particular center is 6. How is it possible that grown men will rape and abuse such young girls? There is a blind girl and a paralyzed girl in the rehabilitation center. They started out healthy but were abused by the brother owners so they could go out on the streets and beg. Just one more way to make money...it makes me sick to my stomach to think that these things happen every day. 

After this heart wrenching experience, we went for a hike up to a Buddhist temple. There were about 1,000 steps to the top, where we were able to see an awesome view of Battambang and see how other religions worship. 

Oh yeah, and since the temple is a holy place, girls had to have their knees and shoulders covered. Trust me, hiking in a floor length skirt wasn't my idea of a good time! 








In between these two adventures, we went to a church and had lunch. And you'll never believe what I ate!! 



Frogs. Whole. Eyes, skin, ribs, everything. Ew!


Termites. We mixed these in with the rice but it didn't help. Crunchy and nasty are the two adjectives needed here. 


Crickets. Salty. 

That's all I've got for now! The adventures begin again early tomorrow and I need some sleep. 

God bless you all, and please continue praying. Our team and this country can use as much as possible! 



No comments:

Post a Comment