College Life

College Life

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

John 8 observations

Verses 1-11. Wow. 

but Jesus went to the Mount of Olives. Early in the morning he came again to the temple. All the people came to him, and he sat down and taught them. The scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in adultery, and placing her in the midst they said to him, “Teacher, this woman has been caught in the act of adultery. Now in the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. So what do you say?” This they said to test him, that they might have some charge to bring against him. Jesus bent down and wrote with his finger on the ground. And as they continued to ask him, he stood up and said to them, “Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her.” And once more he bent down and wrote on the ground. But when they heard it, they went away one by one, beginning with the older ones, and Jesus was left alone with the woman standing before him. Jesus stood up and said to her, “Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?” She said, “No one, Lord.” And Jesus said, “Neither do I condemn you; go, and from now on sin no more.” ]] 

I'm amazed at the way Jesus performed some of his miracles. Some people might not consider this one of his miracles, but I do. Let me explain: it doesn't seem like anything "supernatural" happened here, but I have a different perspective. I'm immersed in a culture that seems very similar to the one this woman was in. Culture is everything! This woman was caught in the act of adultery. She should be stoned by every cultural law and rule in the book. But Jesus shows up and changes the whole situation. He stands up to the crowd and says "Aright, listen up. Let the one who has never let their flesh, desires, or other sins consume them be the first to throw a stone." Well, whatdya know. No one is able to throw a stone. And then he pulls the most awesome move of all time. He stands up and says  "Oh....no one threw a stone?" Don't you love his subtle humor? I find this totally humorous! JESUS (the king of the world, in case you forgot) stands up from the dirt, looks at the woman he knew well and sure wouldn't be stoned, and asks an obvious question. Oh....no one was able to throw that first stone, huh? They all left? Cool. And then he sets her free for good "I don't condemn you either. I've never sinned in my life, but I won't be throwing any stones. You're sins are forgiven. Now stop messing around, and spread the gospel!" 

I think this is a way we can show people that were followers (imitators) of Christ. When someone is facing a time of oppression or discouragement, we can stand up to those around them and say "Hey, those of you that have never come across something like this are more than welcome to bash this person. Otherwise, back off!" Jesus protected the woman. Not because she deserved protection. Not because she begged for it. But because he came to save and not condemn. Because showing her mercy did more for the kingdom of heaven. She was now able to go out and spread the word that there is a savior that saves! I just love that. 

But the chapter doesn't stop being awesome there. I encourage you to read the rest of the chapter for yourself, and let it speak to you as The Lord wills. I know I was crazy encouraged by it. 

Thanks for bearing with me! I hope you were as encouraged by this passage as I was. 

God bless 
Xo 


1 comment:

  1. Love this passage. Very applicable to life and humbling to be reminded that we are no better or accepted by Christ because we feel we have sinned less or our sins are "smaller" in comparison to others. Love and miss you janel!

    ReplyDelete