College Life

College Life

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Reflections thus far

Last night at our debrief, the question was "what will take with you from Battambang?" While I was thinking about what I was going to answer, a lot of things crossed my mind. 

1. While we were in Battambang, I met more giving people than ever before. You ask them where you could find mangoes, and they tell you they'll just get you some and bring them to you next time they see you. You compliment someone on their bracelet, and they take it off and put it on you. I don't think I've ever met an American that does things like that. 

2. The people are also super selfless. They look out for others as the #1. If you're walking around a temple and get super hot but have run out of water, they will hand you their water bottle. When you say "but then you'll be thirsty!" They resond with "that's okay....drink!" They know they're going to be thirsty. But they're giving up their comfort for yours.

3. The people we met in Battambang were extremely patient people (which someone else actually said in our debrief, so you know it's true!). Almost every van ride around the provinces, I was asking some Khmer people how to say different things. And just as soon as they would work with me to get that phrase down, I would be asking about different words. This went on for hours every day. I butchered their language every time, too. Imagine someone riding in your car for a 3 hour ride, and they're trying to learn English. They ask you how to say "truck". And you tell them. You pronounce it. You pronounce it 5 more times. They try and say a bad word that rhymes with truck instead. (This is something that happened to me when I was trying to learn Khmer). Yikes! I can imagine myself laughing my head off and giving up on them ever learning. But these people don't do that. They keep going, keep going, keep going. They didnt get frustrated. They didn't give up on me. And when I got a phrase right, they would say "Yes! You're so clever!" That's something that totally amazes me.

4. They are so content with so little. I don't know how to expand on that, really. They're just grateful for everything they have and you never hear them complaining. 

5. When we asked pastors at the house churches what we could pray for, their first thought was for the community around them, or the kids that come. Then after some prodding, they tell you what prayer requests they have for themselves. Expanding the church and bringing people to Christ is their first priority. More so than themselves. 

There are so many other things I saw while I was in Battambang, but those are the top 5. 

Now were on our way to Siem Reap by way of boat, and are having quite the experience. If you've ever been on the Jungle Cruise at Disneyland, get that image in your head. That's exactly the type of boat were on, except ours is a little skinnier. Then think about putting 34 people into that boat + all their luggage. It's CRAMMED. But the scenery is great, and it's a great lens to see culture through.







It was definitely an interesting ride, but it provided a lot of time for prayer, reading, and conversation. 

Please keep praying for our team and the prayer requests I've already posted. But especially be praying for our time in Siem Reap. That's where we will send our next week. 

God bless 
Xo

No comments:

Post a Comment