College Life

College Life

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Day 2 adventures


It's so cool to finally be here!! We spent the night in a very nice spot in Phnom Penh last night, and are on the way to Battambang today. Since we have about 5-6 hours on the bus, I've had plenty of time to look out the window and see the beauty Cambodia has to offer. 

The temples and buildings are so gorgeous! The temples have very ornate architecture. The colors, structure, and even the gates take my breath away every time. While we were going through the city, it seemed like we were passing temple looking buildings almost constantly. I've attached a few pictures here because I know my words could never do them justice. 


The city is a constant bustle. There are buses, motorbikes, and cars everywhere! And they are going every which way with no clear rules of the road. Every driver is making their own way across the craziness. As a result of this madness, there is a lot of honking and cutting each other off. And I can't even tell you how many times I've thought our bus driver was going to run over a pedestrian or motorbiker. It's insane! 

There are so many people doing so many things...kids running around, beggars struggling to make their way, grown men playing bocce ball using their sandals (I wish I could have snapped a picture of that...it was so neat!), women hanging their laundry off the balconies, and a lot of people just sitting and watching the world swirl around them.


I wish I had been able to snap a picture of this, but I'm too slow. There are water buffalo here! People own cows and water buffalo and they hang out together! It is the weirdest and coolest thing I think I've seen here. They just hang out on the side of the road...that's something you definitely don't see in the US. 

God has already blessed our team tremendously. Our flights were wonderful, our first "hotel" had clean showers, real toilets, nice beds, air conditioning (which was vital...it was killer hot last night), and a yummy breakfast this morning. There are really sweet people on our bus ride today, and the weather is actually really nice! 

We're at our next hotel now, and are about to eat dinner and swim in the pool!!  Here's some pictures from our motorbike drawn buggy ride that we caught after our bus ride, and the hotel were staying at. 

PS- the key photo is kind of cool. You can only get air conditioning and light if your key is in that little slot. I guess this keeps their bills down because they're not paying utilities when no one is in the room. Pretty smart, huh?















No comments:

Post a Comment