College Life

College Life

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Flight time

3 planes, 18 hours of flying, and 10 hours of layovers later....we're in Cambodia!! 

The flights went well, other than a pretty bumpy ride on the 12 hour flight. My mind and body went against my wishes and kept me up the whole time, but it gave me time to read, pray, and prepare. I know that being back in Cambodia is going to be a huge blessing but also a struggle. The things that broke my heart last year, are bound to break it again; but I'm also sure I'll find new things this time around that will create a whole new crack in my heart. I have done a lot of praying that God will prepare my heart before I get into these situations. Last year I struggled with anger and confusion when I saw the heartbreak the Khmer people had to endure. I know that the poverty levels and trafficking rates haven't changed, and I know I will see a lot of it again. I am just praying that I will deal with it with a loving spirit. Lars challenged me to read through the book of John while I'm here, and even recorded himself reading some of it, so I can hear his voice but also be encouraged by the word of God (what a guy, right?). Since I've been awake during all of the flights, I've had a chance to read a lot already. And something really stuck out to me. 

John 3:17 comes after the most popular verse of the Bible. But it's often overlooked. It says "for God did not send his son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him." Why don't we have this verse memorized as well as John 3:16?? It is SO IMPORTANT. Jesus didn't come to this earth to condemn people and tell them they were going to hell. He didn't come to say "if you don't do church this way, you're wrong" or "if you let a wife pray before the meal, it won't be heard." Those are things that religious people have made up over the years by reading way too far between the lines of different texts (a rant I could continue on, but will leave out because it has no relevance). Jesus came to this earth so that we might be saved through him!! That's a big deal. The sole purpose of him coming was to save us. He gave us some great pointers along the way. He performed amazing miracles. He proved to those who chose to listen and follow that God is the one true king. My goal while I'm here in Cambodia is to love on people. To not only tell them about Gods enduring love for them, but also the good news and joy we have through Jesus. We have so many things to rejoice about. Our savior hung on a cross as intercession for our sins. We can go to heaven because God sent his son to take on flesh and live a life surrounded by jealous, angry, argumentative, selfish people. And those traits didn't stop then. Those traits are found within ourselves even today. This year, I'm going to do a lot more thinking about my own life and how I can fill those shortcomings with Jesus instead. And I'm going to do less thinking about how awful the parents of Khmer children can be. I'm going to take the disapproving look off my face when I look at the pimps on the streets. Because if there's anything those people need, it's to see someone looking back at them with hope in their eyes. Hope that they will change. And when I step back to let Jesus shine through,  instead of letting my human emotions take over, I think that will be way more possible. 

John 3:16-17 
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have everlasting life. For God did not send his son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him."  

I hope that encourages you and pushes you the same way it did me. 

I'm here safe in Cambodia, and am ready to take on the next 44 days of adventure! I can't wait to see what God does next. 

Please pray for: 
- the people we are able to reach while we're here. We won't be able to preach the word to every Khmer person, but please join us in praying that the people we DO reach will chose to go out and reach others. 
- health throughout the trip. We haven't had any sickness yet, but it comes easily when you're eating new foods and adjusting to a new sleep schedule. 
- Nicole and I. We will be staying a little longer than the rest of the team in order to teach English at a university in Battambang. (If you read my blogs last year, or chose to go back and review them this year, you'll see that I talked a lot about a guy named Sam. We will be working with him). Please pray for strength, safety, and wisdom while we stay. 

Thanks for checking in and reading about the exciting start to the trip! 
God bless 
Xo


^^^^^
That's what they feed us on the airplanes. Full course meals. And it includes dessert!! Yum :)



No comments:

Post a Comment