College Life

College Life

Monday, March 7, 2016

My cheating husband

Every morning I see my husband cheating on me.

I wake up earlier than Lars, but as I'm up and around getting ready for work, his alarms go off. And then, as I walk around the apartment gathering things for my day, I see it. I see him totally engaged with somebody else. He is completely tuned out from our little world of marriage, because he's so engrossed with them. He doesn't hear my blending my morning smoothie because he's totally out of it. Sometimes it makes me a little bitter, and other times it makes me the happiest woman in the world. My husband is cheating.

But before you get fired up, let me explain.

The person my husband is "cheating" with is GOD. Gotcha ;-)

But the rest is all true! For the last few months, Lars has been really committed to spending quiet quality time with God to start his day. As I'm fumbling around the apartment trying to get ready for work, I see him out on the balcony: Bible open, journal out, eyes either closed or contemplative. He is devoting precious time in the morning to sit with God and admire all He has done. Some days he journals the whole time; other days he just sits quietly and still. I so wish I could hear his thoughts during those times. I desperately want to know what those prayers are. But I praise God that I don't. Lars and I have an open and honest relationship, and talk often about what's weighing on our hearts and what we need to be praying for in our lives. But there's a part of me that knows he has things on his heart that he couldn't express to me if he tried. Things that are between him and Christ that I have no business in to begin with. And I'm grateful that he takes the time to converse with God about those things. He schedules in quiet time with our Creator so that he can be a better man, a better son, a better minister, and a better husband.

As I look back on our first year of marriage, I can see that the past few months have been the best ones. We have prayed more, laughed more, and had more great adventures. Together, we have grown not only closer to each other, but closer to God.

So I don't mind that my husband is a big fat cheater! Because I'm cheating with the same person. And you know what? It's making our marriage so much better.


No comments:

Post a Comment